Image 1 of 1
The Madonna Chapel, south of Plaquemine in Iberville Parish, is known as the smallest church in the world. The chapel was built with lumber donated by area residents on landed donated by Anthony Gullo in 1903. It is only eight feet square and was built as a tribute to the Blessed Mother. The chapel hosts a Mass Aug. 15 each year in celebration of the Assumption of the Blessed Mother.