Image 1 of 1
The prominent 80-foot steeple of Ascension of Our Lord Church in Donaldsonville can be seen by travelers on both sides of Mississippi River. as well as on the river. Founded by order of King Charles III of Spain in 1772, the Church of the Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ remains the center of faith in the heart of Donaldsonville, La. The cornerstone for the church seen today was laid June 124, 1876. In 1896, the new church building which had taken 21 years to construct at a cost of $80,000 was opened on March 31st, and dedicated on April 14th. In 1996, during the 100th anniversary of the church’s dedication, the steeple was restored to the church after being absent for 60 years.